Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cause of death...toe infection!

Things are going much better since my so sad posting about my holidays. I made it back to site and got back to work. Being back to a normal schedule has really helped my attitude. Shortly after I returned was when I got all my ant, bed bug, and mosquito bites. I had a small ant bite on my big toe that I didn't even realized I had scratched. Well the scratch turned into a small scab. Small scab turned into a toe infection that caused my whole foot to swell up so big I couldn't bent my toe at all, or hardly walk for that matter. Along with the foot swelling came a fever of 102 degrees. The toe went from having a small scab to swollen and fever in a matter of 4 or 5 hours. At this point, in the middle of the night, I pulled out my flash light (because the electricity was off) to take a look at this toe of mine. My whole toe was read and all around the scab was gray. It was really cute! So I popped it (I'm sure all of you really want to read the next few details!) and puss and blood came gushing out. I cleaned it up as best I could and put a bandaid on it. By morning the fever broke and since then the swelling has slowly gone down. So what was my first near death experience in Ghana has become a serious lesson learned: don't let cuts "breath" in Ghana! Otherwise... you could end up losing a limb... or at least a toe!
Well, I'm going to get back to work now! I have to figure out a way of teaching a community that lives on stilts (Nzulezo) to dispose of trash in a way other than throwing it in the water. If they continue what they are doing much longer they won't be living in water anymore... only trash!
I miss you all!

3 comments:

Alex said...

Hello,

I lived in Ghana 1998-2000. I was a SED. Are you a WATSAN? I lived in Paga, Upper East Region. Crocodiles. Que pasa? Go to Akuma Village.

Alex

Mandy said...

Hey! great to meet you! I'm also SED, working at Nzulezo, the stilt village in the Western Region. How are you? What are you doing now?

Alex said...

Hello Mandy(?),

I'm back in San Diego now, where I'm from, and work for the Dept. of Defense (auditor).

Went to UW in Seattle for school and lived all over the US.

My wife is Ghanaian (Ewe). We met while I was there. She came to the US in 2001. She is now crazy.

Other than this, all is fine-O. Are you near the ocean?